Newspapers are an underrated source of historical material and this page displays articles about Worlingworth from newspapers of the late Victorian era.

Saturday 8th January, 1887
Worlingworth - Fire. On the last day of the year, the parish of Worlingworth was aroused by the cry of 'Fire'; three cottages under one roof, next Mr. James Garnham?s farm, the property of Lord Henniker, were blazing fiercely at six o?clock in the morning. The fire engine kept near the church was promptly sent, under the charge of Mr. Sam Collins, and arrived by seven o?clock, and the fire brigade, assisted by numerous volunteers, did excellent service in preventing the flames spreading to some neighbouring stacks and out-houses, though the fire had obtained too much hold to save any of the cottages.

The fire is believed to have originated in a cupboard over an oven in the central cottage, which was inhabited by a widow with one leg; the latter was awakened by her little dog barking, and promptly threw two pails of water over the fire, and got out of the house and aroused her neighbours. These saved some of the property, but all the contents of the middle cottage were lost. Much sympathy has been shown for the sufferers by all their neighbours. A subscription list has been opened, and Lord Henniker has shown sympathy in a most tangible way.

Death - Bloomfield - 30th ult., at Worlingworth, in her 51st year, Laura Ann Blomfield, the dearly loved wife of the late William Blomfield, of Honey Pots Farm, Worlingworth.

Saturday 29th January, 1887
Worlingworth - Sudden Death. On Sunday an old and respected parishioner, Robert Smith, died very suddenly. He was at work on the previous day for his employer, Mr. W. Reeve, when he slipped from a load of straw, apparently receiving no other injury than a sprained ankle. He was attended by his medical man, and afterwards appeared as usual, except for the injured ankle. Early on Sunday morning, his sister visited him to prepare his breakfast and he then said he felt easier but, in about an hour, the poor fellow was found dead. Deceased was about 63 years of age. Strange to say, his wife died just as suddenly about six weeks ago.

On Tuesday morning Mr. C.W. Chaston held an inquest at the Swan Inn on the body of deceased. From the evidence of a woman named Eliza Potkin, it appears that she was in the habit of looking after deceased, who, since the death of his wife, had lived alone. On Friday night, he was apparently in good health. The next day he complained of feeling faint, and he kept his bed, but she looked in, and he said he would like some tea when the kettle boiled. She left him for half an hour and, on going again, found him in bed with his clothes on, dead. Horace Hill said he was working with deceased the day before, when he slipped from the stack on to the ground and sprained his ankle.

Mr. Herbert Hargrave said he could not explain the cause of death, and the inquest was adjourned for a post-mortem examination till Tuesday next.

Saturday 5th February, 1887
Worlingworth - The Recent Sudden Death. The enquiry on the body of Robert Smith, who was found dead on Sunday week last, was resumed on Tuesday afternoon, before C.W. Chaston, Esq., Coroner. A post mortem examination having been made in the meantime, Dr. Hargrave certified the cause of death to be a rupture of a diseased blood vessel, causing internal bleeding and suffocation and a verdict was returned accordingly.

Saturday 5th March, 1887
Worlingworth - Candlemas Charity. The gift of money left to be distributed on the first Sunday in Lent was distributed by the Churchwardens after Sunday service on Sunday Last.

The Jubilee. Collections have been made in the Parishes of Worlingworth and Southolt for the Women's Jubilee Offering to the Queen. The following ladies have kindly acted as collectors:- Mrs. Clarke, Mrs. Leggett, Mrs. Johnson, the Misses Willis, Miss Cornish, Miss Copping, Miss Clarke, Miss Holland and the Misses French. The subscribers numbering 250, all showing great interest in the cause, and contributing most willingly. The sum collected, viz: ?2 3s 8d has been forwarded to the Marchioness of Bristol.

Saturday 19th March, 1887
Worlingworth - Sudden Death. On Tuesday C.W. Chaston, Esq., (County Coroner), held an inquest at the Swan Inn, touching the death of Thomas Goddard, aged 11 months, son of an agricultural labourer. The child had not been very healthy and on Sunday was suffering from cold and a sore throat. The child was worse on Tuesday, and consequently the father wrote a letter to Mr. C.G. Read, the Union Medical Officer, stating that the infant was very poorly, and asking for a little medicine. The order was obtained and sent to Mr. Read on Thursday morning, accompanied by a message that the child had got the measles. No request for attendance was made, although the mother seems to have anticipated a call from the Medical Officer. The order was not marked urgent.

Mr. Read attributed death to convulsions, stating that he could have done no good, had he attended. The Jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.

Saturday 26th March, 1887
Death - Preston - 23rd inst., at the Red House, Worlingworth, in her 68th year, Charlotte, relict of the late Henry Preston.

Saturday 16th April, 1887
Worlingworth - Vestry Meeting. On Monday the Easter meeting for the election of churchwardens was held, when the Rev. F. French occupied the chair. Mr. W.H. Preston and Mr. W. Leggett were unanimously re-elected for the ensuing year. The churchwarden's accounts for the past year were submitted and passed.

Concert. One of the most successful concerts ever given in this village took place on Tuesday evening. The new schoolroom was filled to overflowing with a very attentive and appreciative audience, which showed evident signs of satisfaction in the various items of the programme, which was ably carried out by every one of the performers. Assisted by so excellent a musician as the Rev. T.S. Shaw, the village band came out well in the two overtures. Miss Ada Moore gave her songs in capital style, and received for 'Daddy' a well deserved encore, in reply to which she sang 'Hazel nut'. But the fine tenor voice of Mr. Bell (a visitor at the rectory) gave the audience a treat they have not often the opportunity of enjoying. For both his songs he was encored. In reply to the first, he sang 'Ha donna mobile', from Il Trovatore, and after Beethoven's 'Adelaide', he gave the crowning song of the evening, 'Star of Bethlehem'. The Misses French were very successful in their duet 'I know a bank' and were recalled. Miss Dora French sang in best style 'River, river', and as an encore 'The old man's darling'. The Rev. T.S. Shaw acquitted himself admirably in his violin solos. The pathetic story of 'The curfew bell' was ably recited by Mr. E.J. Holland. Mr. Prime came out excellently as a comic character, especially as 'The modern ladies' man'. As a conclusion to each part, the choir sang a glee in good style. The following is a programme: -

March, 'Light cavalry,' Orchestra.
Song, 'Maid of the mill,' Miss Ada Moore.
Concertina Solo, 'Blue bells of Scotland,' Miss Dora French.
Song 'The last watch,' G. Bell, Esq.
Violin solo, Rev. T.S. Shaw.
Vocal duet, 'I know a bank,' The Misses French.
Recitation, 'The curfew must not ring to-night,' Mr. E. J. Holland.
Comic Song, 'The modern ladies' man,' Mr. D. Prime.
Glee, 'Carnovale,' The Choir.

Overture, 'Stradella,' Orchestra.
Vocal duet, 'Gipsy Duet,' Miss D. French & G. Bell, Esq.
Violoncello Solo, 'Tarantella,' Rev. E.H. Frere.
Song, 'River river,' Miss Dora French.
Song, 'Adelaide,' G. Bell, Esq.
Violin Solo, Rev. T.S. Shaw.
Song, 'Daddy,' Miss Ada Moore.
Song, 'Three little pigs,' Miss D. Prime.
Glee, 'The bells of Aberdovy,' (Welsh air) The Choir.
'God Save the Queen.'

The proceeds go towards the fund for re-casting one of the church bells. Over ?7 was taken, so there will be a handsome surplus to the fund, towards which the rector has already guaranteed ?10.

Saturday 4th June, 1887
Worlingworth - Concert. Another exceedingly good concert was given in the new school room on Wednesday evening. The audience however, was not so large as on the last occasion. A detailed criticism of the performers will not be attempted, as most of them are so well known to be first class musicians, and the excellent programme appeared to give great satisfaction. The proceeds are to be given to the village library.

Endowed School. The report of Her Majesty's Inspector is just to hand, and is of a very satisfactory character. The grant earned is ?6 in excess of that of last year, although subject to a small reduction, it having exceeded the limit. Report: - Day School: I look forward with pleasure to next year's examination, for the standards have already made most satisfactory progress in spite of drawbacks, and good foundations are being laid in the infant class. Sewing is fair, and geography and English may be classed 'good', in view of circumstances. The standards and infants are classed 'good' without hesitation. Evening School: This useful and important evening school continues to do good work.

Saturday 25th June, 1887
Worlingworth - Jubilee Feast. Early in the morning of Tuesday, the bells began a merry peal and the ringing was resumed at intervals during the day. The school children formed in procession at the New School and, with flags and banners, marched to the service at church, which commenced at 2pm. By this time the village was en fete. After a very pleasant service, which commenced with the National Anthem, a procession was formed to the Hall grounds, headed by the band, and the pole on which 77 years ago the ox was roasted whole.

At 3 o'clock, about 500 sat down to dinner in a very spacious marquee. 'The Queen' was proposed by the Rector, who said he could not help referring to this great historic event of world-wide interest. On behalf of the parishioners, he then thanked one and all who had aided towards such a splendid celebration. After dinner, pipes and tobacco were served to smokers. The sports commenced at 4.30, and a capital programme was gone through, marred only by an accident in the breaking of the collar bone of a young man named Newson. The prizes to the successful ones were distributed by Mrs. French. Dancing was kept up about 10.30. The proceedings concluded with a bonfire, rockets from the church tower, the National Anthem, and hearty cheers.

Saturday 23rd July, 1887
Worlingworth - Confirmation. On Friday morning, the Bishop of the Diocese held a confirmation in St. Mary?s church in this village. Seventy-six candidates presented themselves from this parish and the surrounding parishes. The Bishop, as usual, gave a very telling address, both before and after the laying on of hands.

Saturday 30th July, 1887
Worlingworth - Jubilee. A winding-up meeting of the Jubilee committee was held on Tuesday evening, in the new schoolroom. The efforts of the Committee have been in every way successful, and a surplus of ?3 4s 7d was announced by the Treasurer. A discussion ensued as to the best way of disposing of it.

It was ultimately agreed to give ?1 to the fire engine fund, ?1 to the bell fund, and the remainder (?1 4s 7d) to the village library. The proceedings terminated after a hearty vote of thanks be given to the Chairman, the Rev. F. French, to Mr. Alfred Preston, Hon. Treasurer, who worked particularly hard for the success of the celebration, and also to Mr. H. Goddard, who discharged the duties of secretary.

Stradbroke - Petty Session - Thursday.
Before the Rev. F. French (Chairman) and R. Garrard, Esq.
George Lockwood, of Worlingworth, for being disorderly and refusing to quit the Swan Inn, and assaulting the landlord, Jos. Leggett to all of which charges he pleaded guilty, was fined, including costs 50s, or one month?s imprisonment; a fortnight allowed for payment.

Saturday 6th August, 1887
Worlingworth - Choir Outing. On Friday last, the adult members of the Worlingworth choir, through the liberality of the Rev. F. French, had an outing to the seaside. The party went in three conveyances to Halesworth, thence by rail to Southwold, which was reached about 12.30. A very pleasant day was spent, and the party left Southwold for home shortly before seven o'clock.

School Treat. On Saturday, the scholars attending the Sunday School had their annual treat. The children assembled at the new school and marched in procession to the Rectory, where an excellent tea was prepared for them and their mothers. After tea, sports were heartily enjoyed till dusk, when the prizes were distributed. Hymns were then sung, and afterwards hearty cheers were given for the Queen, the Rector and family, and the visitors.

Saturday 24th September, 1887
Worlingworth - Harvest. Thanksgiving services were held in St. Mary's church, both in the morning and afternoon of last Sunday. The church was beautifully decorated for the occasion, with flowers and fruit, by the Misses French and other ladies. The Rector preached in the morning, and the Rev. J. Thornton in the afternoon. The offertories amounted to ?3 6s, which, together with other donations, was used to provide a harvest feast for the aged poor, widows and orphans. After divine service on Thursday afternoon, the party of old people who were able to come repaired to the Rector's barn, where ample justice was done to beef, plum pudding &c. The old people appeared very pleased and thankful, and disappeared for their homes about six o'clock.

Saturday 3rd December, 1887
Worlingworth - Foreign Missions. On Sunday afternoon, a special sermon was preached in St. Mary's Church by the Rector on behalf of foreign missions. There was a large congregation. A collection was also made in the morning for the same object. The offertories at both services amounted to above ?4.

Saturday 10th December, 1887
Worlingworth - The Endowed Schools. The annual inspection of the Schools in religious knowledge took place on Tuesday the 29th ult. The Rev. Dr. Raven was the examiner and, at the close, addressed the children, highly commending them for their answers, industry, and good behaviour. He also expressed himself very pleased with the cheerful manner in which they did their work. The following is his report to the managers: - 'I regard the work as of excellent quality. The whole tone of the School is admirable. Next year I hope to find some knowledge of the Prayer Book.'

Saturday 17th December, 1887
Worlingworth - Sudden Death. On Sunday evening Mr. Bilby Smith, a resident of this parish, expired suddenly, and no medical man having seen him, the facts were communicated to the Coroner, with a view to an inquest being held. Smith was an old servant of the Borough of Ipswich, having served in the police force for over 21 years. He joined on the 11th March, 1853, and was superannuated on June 19th, 1874. After he left the force he went to Woolwich, and three years ago came to reside at Worlingworth. He was 70 years old at the time of his death.

The inquest was held at the Swan Inn on Tuesday before Mr. C. W. Chaston, county coroner. Mary Ann Eade, a widow, said the deceased had lived next door to her. He had complained of feeling unwell during the past six weeks, and had at times been attended by Mr. Read, of Stradbroke. He sent for her on Saturday morning and she found him complaining of being very full of pain. At his request she went to Mr. Read's surgery and told that gentleman of the deceased?s condition. His assistant, Mr. Hemming, after questioning her as to the nature of Mr. Smith's pain, said it was difficult to send medicine for persons without seeing them, and put up some medicine and said he would call as soon as he could. She took the medicine to Smith, and in the afternoon saw him to bed. He then said he felt easier. His wife was unable to attend to him, and witness attended him on Sunday during which he still said he felt easier until about 7pm when he said, 'I am very ill indeed.' She saw he was very ill, and told his wife he was dying. She then went for a man named Collins, who returned with her, and deceased died in their presence at about 10 minutes past 7. She had not thought it necessary to summon a doctor because, after deceased had taken the medicine, he really seemed better. She believed deceased fell down on the Wednesday previous and hurt his nose. He told here it was a pure accident. He had every nourishment he wished for.

Edgar Collins gave corroborative evidence. Mr. Claude Phillip Hemming, surgeon, assistant to Mr. Read, Stradbroke, said he had never attended deceased himself. Since death he had made an external examination of the body, and found slight bruises over the right eyebrow and at the root of the nose. The deceased had long been treated by Mr. Read for dyspepsia, brought on chiefly by chewing tobacco. The deceased was known to have a weak heart, and witness attributed death to failure of the heart's action. The Jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.

Saturday 31st December, 1887
Death - Harvey - 20th inst. after a long affliction, Martha, the dearly beloved wife of Charles Harvey, of Honey Pots Farm, Worlingworth, and late of Ringsfield, aged 71 years.

Saturday 21st January, 1888
Dissolving Views - A capital magic lantern entertainment was given in the New Schoolroom on Friday evening last, by Mr. Orchard of Helmingham. There was a large attendance. The large number of amusing scenes was much appreciated.

Choir Supper - On Thursday evening, through the kindness of Rev. F. French, the rector, the members of the church choir had their annual supper in the OLD Schoolroom. After a good feed, various games were indulged in and, with the addition of a few songs, a very pleasant evening was spent.

Parish Library - The desirability of a good lending library has, for some time, been felt by the inhabitants of the parish and, for some time, efforts have been made to establish one. The project seems likely now to become a reality, as to the small fund already in hand. Mr. Ross has contributed ?5 and a parish meeting is announced for Monday evening to decide the matter.

Saturday 4th February, 1888
Festivities - Nearly eighteen months ago, this village was en fete on the occasion of the marriage of the Rector?s second son to Miss Wilna Ross, oldest daughter of Mr. David Ross, C.I.E. On the last day of 1887, Mr. and Mrs. French, who are in India, had their first-born, a son, and Mr. Ross, the grandfather, who is staying at the Rectory here, determined to celebrate the event in a joyous manner. Accordingly, he promised to give all the children a feast. Besides this, which was carried out on Saturday, nearly forty pounds of tea have been distributed in quarter pound packages among the families in the village, at his expense, and he has given a donation of ?5 towards the parish library. It is needless to add that this open-handed generosity is keenly appreciated.

On Saturday afternoon, 90 delighted school children sat down to a capital tea in the new school. This over, they entered with zest into games, while those who had assisted in attending to the wants of the youngsters had tea in the classroom. After tea, a pleasant evening was spent. Songs were sung by the Misses French, Miss Ross, Mrs. Kirby, and Mr. Holland. The children also sang songs and gave recitations.

At the close, the Rev. F. French made a few remarks, in which he said there had been a triple birth: 1, the grandson, on whose account they had enjoyed the evening; 2, the new village library now opened; 3, a monograph of St. Mary's Church, compiled by Mr. D. Ross. This, he said, he was especially partial to and proud of, and it was a highly interesting and illustrated work, of which Mr. Ross had borne the entire expense. Copies might be obtained at one shilling each, and the money so taken would, in accordance with the wish of Mr. Ross, be devoted towards restoring the flint-work of the church. He proposed that hearty cheers be given to Mr. Ross. This was well responded to and similar honours were conferred on those who had kindly assisted, and the Rector and family. The National Anthem was sung, and the children were each presented with an orange, and went home after having quite a good time.

Saturday 18th February, 1888
Gathered to their fathers - To the number of sudden deaths which have, of late, occurred in this village, we have to add yet another, that of an old and highly respected tradesman, Mr. Samuel Riches, who died on Monday week morning after only 2 days illness.
The funeral took place on Saturday afternoon with every mark of respect from the parishioners. Amongst those who followed, besides the relatives of the deceased, were Mr. Stanton (Brundish), Mr. Bullen and Mr. Copping (Stradbroke), Mr. Howes (Wilby), Mr. Pendle (Tannington), Mr. Harvey and Mr. Lockwood. Mr. Riches had reached the age of 70.

Saturday 25th February, 1888
Stradbroke Petty Sessions - Thursday.
At the Court House on Thursday before the Rev. H.S. Marriott, Capt. Bedingfield, T.H. Tacon Esq.,and Robert Garrard Esq.
William Mutimer, horseman to A. Preston, Worlingworth, was charged with stealing a peck of meal, three beetroot and a piece of wood value 1s, the property of his master, on the morning of the 18th inst. The prisoner, who was caught in the act by P.C. Catchpole, pleaded guilty. He received a good character from Rev. F. French, rector of the parish, and was sentenced to one month?s imprisonment with hard labour.

The usual fortnightly meeting of the Hoxne Board of Guardians was held at the Board Room, Stradbroke on Tuesday, Mr. C.W. Chaston in the chair.

Dr. Anderson, the Medical Officer of Health, stated that a fatal case of gastric fever had been reported to him, and he was informed that the person was removed from one parish to another while so suffering. This was illegal, and he wished to know whether the Board would take any steps in the matter. The Chairman explained that this was the case, which came up before the Board at their last meeting, in which a girl named Plummer (Emily) was removed from the house of her master (Mr. Clarke of Worlingworth) in an open cart, without having first been seen by a medical man.

Mr. Clarke (who was present) said he wished to state that there was nothing in the girl?s appearance to indicate that she was suffering from an infectious disease. It was thought she was suffering from a bilious attack. Had he had any idea that she was suffering from such a malady he should not have had her removed.
Mr. READ: Was the girl confined to her bed?
Mr. CLARKE: No, sir, not exactly; she got up for a few hours on the Tuesday, but was not able to do her work.
Rev. F. French wished to know how Dr. Anderson knew the girl died of gastric fever. Dr. Anderson said he never saw the patient himself, but from the fortnightly returns, and from the certificate given by Dr. Symons, it was clear that the girl died from gastric fever. Mr. Clutten, having ascertained that the girl lived ten days after her removal, said it had gone forth to the public that she died two days after removal. If reporters were allowed to be present at the Board meetings, they should report correctly and he protested against the false statement going forth. Rev. F. French said Mr. Clarke was a parishioner of his and moved: 'That there is nothing in the case to warrant the Board taking any action.'

Mr. Read thought the remarks about the reporters were not warranted. The Chairman spoke of the accuracy of the reports generally, and pointed out, in reference to the girl Plummer, that the report was sent to Mr. Vulliamy, as he (the Chairman), being coroner, thought he ought to act independently. From the report sent, Mr. Vulliamy considered it a case for enquiry, and had issued his warrant to have the body exhumed and an enquiry held. He was, however, informed by the police that, as the girl was buried at Earl Soham, it was out of Mr. Vulliamy's jurisdiction and he had sent on the report to Mr. Brooke, who was the coroner for the liberty, but at present he did not know what steps Mr. Brooke had taken in the matter.

The Clerk read the report of Dr. Symons, which stated that the grandmother of the girl informed him that the girl was removed from her master's house in an open cart, after being ill several days, without a medical man seeing her, and in the high state of fever in which he found her, he considered the girl's removal very imprudent. The certificate was handed in and dated 3rd February, certifying death to be from gastric fever.

Mr. Clarke said he was surprised to hear that the girl was taken from his house in a delirious state and to this he gave a most emphatic denial. He courted the fullest inquiry, as it was calculated to do him harm as a businessman, and further added that the girl's own wish was that she should be removed to her grandmother's, which was done on the Wednesday. Everything was done for the girl that could be.

Rev. R.G. Gorton said as masters they were bound not to allow their servants to do anything detrimental to themselves. He moved the following resolution: 'That the Board, having heard the explanation of Mr. Clarke, they regret that the girl was removed in the manner described without having been seen by a medical man.' Mr. Read said he came there as a Guardian to do his duty. He felt for Mr. and Mrs. Clarke, who he believed acted with a certain amount of negligence. They ought not to pass this matter over without notice being taken of it, and he seconded the resolution, which was agreed to.

The Board also passed a resolution regretting that the medical man (Dr. Symons) did not either qualify or withhold his certificate, and that he was not more explicit in the matter. Rev. F. French said the Medical Officer had gone out of his way, for he actually attended the girl before he had an order, and he should be very sorry for the Board to be hard on the doctor. The matter then dropped.

Saturday 5th May, 1888
Stradbroke Petty Sessions - Thursday.
Jeremiah Hart, a hawker, of Worlingworth, was charged by P.C. Catchpole with an assault upon his son Bertie on the 31st March. Defendant did not appear and sentence of a week's imprisonment with hard labour was passed.

Saturday 26th May, 1888
Gala - On Monday, the rector very kindly opened his grounds to the parishioners and, the weather being fine, a large number were induced to resort thither. The Worlingworth Brass Band enlivened the proceedings. A tea was provided by the rector at a nominal charge. In the evening, sports were held.

The Endowed School - The annual report on the school has just been received and is very satisfactory. The grant has been increased by about ?7 although the bad weather, etc. caused a large reduction in the average attendance. The report of H.M.I. Inspector is as follows:
The Standards are classed as 'excellent' though there is room for improvement in the quality of the arithmetic, especially as regards problems. Needlework deserves much praise. The infants are classed as 'good'.

Saturday 11th August, 1888
Sunday School Treat - The scholars attending the Sunday School had, on Friday, their annual treat through the kindness of the rector. Fortunately the weather was all that could be desired, and a very enjoyable time was spent by the youngsters.

Endowed School - This school was examined in religious knowledge on Tuesday by the Rev. W.W. Tyler, Diocesan Inspector, and the following is his report:-
This school in religious knowledge is certainly above the average. The junior classes are exceedingly well cared for, and answered unusually well in all the elementary subjects; their repetition of Scripture, hymns, &c., was also accurate and praiseworthy. Nor can I speak too highly of the older scholars. The examination showed that there was a good general knowledge diffused throughout. All that has been attempted has been done well. I therefore have the unqualified pleasure of certifying that I am of opinion the instruction in the Diocesan syllabus has been systematic, thorough and very successful. The tone, discipline and general efficiency of the school reflect very great credit indeed upon the Head Master, Mr. Holland, and his assistants.

Saturday 22nd September, 1888
WANTED for Michaelmas, a GENERAL SERVANT, Apply Mrs. James Clarke, Worlingworth.

Saturday 13th October, 1888
Harvest Thanksgiving - On Sunday last, harvest thanksgiving services were held at St. Mary's church in this place. The church was nicely decorated for the occasion with corn, flowers, fruit and vegetables, and much praise is due to the Misses French and the ladies who kindly assisted. The berries, sent by Mrs. Wright of Athelington, were much admired. Collections were made at the close of each service, amounting to ?2 1s 2d in the morning, and ?2 8s 6d in the afternoon.

With this sum, together with a collection of 7s 6d at Southolt and a balance in hand of about 10s, the aged people and the orphans of the two parishes, to the number of 60, were provided with a capital feast in the rector's barn, after divine service on Wednesday. After dinner, the old men regaled themselves with pipes and tobacco, and all appeared to have spent a most enjoyable time, and expressed their warmest thanks to those who so kindly contributed to their pleasure.

Saturday 22nd December 1888
Missions - Collections have recently been made in St. Mary's Church, and the following are the amounts received: on behalf of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, ?3 8s 0d; for the Conversion of the Jews, ?2 0s 0d. An able sermon, pleading the cause of the latter, was preached by the Rev. Stormont Bell.

Campanology - On Thursday the 13th inst., a company stationed as below, rang a date touch (1888 changes) in one hour and seven minutes, consisting of 448 Bob Minor, 720 Kent Treble Bob, 720 Oxford Treble Bob. D. Collins, Worlingworth, treble (conductor); R. Taylor, Wilby, 2nd; R. Collins, Worlingworth, 3rd; R. Ruth, senr., Horham, 4th; E. Collins, Worlingworth, 5th; R. Ruth, junr., Horham, tenor. Weight of tenor 13 cwt. The striking was excellent throughout.

Return to top

Website design and hosting by Yare Valley Technical Services